Friday, July 1, 2011

Throwback Classic: D2: The Mighty Ducks

Ducks Fly Together

Today, I came across Flavorwire's list of 10 Patriotic Movies That Aren't Cheesy. In the history of American cinema, there have been a number of such films. And though I too adore Edward R. Murrow's McCarthy speech in Good Night and Good Luck. I couldn't help but thinking that my favorite patriotic movies have one thing in common: They're sports movies.

Sports movies were noticeably absent from the list (apparently they possess considerably more "cheesiness" than war movies). I am not a huge sports fan, but I always wished I was because of the sense of unity and brother(sister)hood I felt watching sports movies. I grew up with The Mighty Ducks D2. For whatever reason, the first movie never became a classic in my family like the second one did. I haven't seen the movie in forever, but still, every time someone brings up Iceland, I have to repeat in Coach Stansson's accent. "EESLUND!" It doesn't hurt that I kind had a thing for Joshua Jackson (or that I still do). Team USA was something special.


Yeah so maybe The Mighty Ducks was a cheesy movie, but I learned a lot about hard work and commitment from it. Sports movies have a way of moving people. Or maybe it's just sports in general. Say what you will about the Americans' reactions to Osama Bin Laden's death, but possibly the most beautiful thing I heard that week was the chant of "USA" at a Mets/Phillies game (rival teams no less!). Sometimes cheesiness is just what I'm looking for in a patriotic movie. So now I think I need to go bust out the VHS player... Happy 4th of July Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment