Sunday, July 17, 2011

Trending Trailers: The Week in Preview


I love movie trailers. They're full of a kind of excitement that truly can't be ruined--- until the movie comes out. Here's a selection of the trailers that intrigued me this week:

Contagion




While I patiently await Matt Damon's inevitable (I hope) directorial debut, I can't help but follow his every move. In this case, it looks like a good one. The Soderbergh directed thriller is about a deadly air-born virus. Matt Damon, though my personal favorite, isn't the only A-lister in this movie. Marion Cotillard, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Bryan Cranston and (okay not an A-lister, but) Laurence Fishburne also star. Plus, I MUST give a shout out to Veronica Mars' Enrico Colantoni who make a small appearance in the trailer. The trailer gives a LOT away, but if you ask me, it'll still be more than worth seeing.



This Must Be the Place


This trailer falls more onto the 'intrigued' side of the scale than, well, the 'I'm definitely going to see that' side, but I am of the opinion that Sean Penn doesn't do much wrong. The film is about an aging rock star who sets out to find the Nazi war criminal who tormented his recently deceased father. Quirky? Yes, but the film premiered at this year's Cannes Film Festival and met strong reviews. With a supporting cast of Frances Mcdormand and Judd Hirsch, it's probably worth a look.

The Iron Lady

This much buzzed about movie reveals little in its trailer that we don't already know, namely that Meryl Streep can act. Still, Meryl as Margaret Thatcher? This film has Oscar buzz written all over it.

Hugo

I have to admit, Martin Scorsese doing a family film? I was a little skeptical. But this trailer is so filled with wonder and amazement, I couldn't help but smile. Hugo is the story of a young, orphaned boy and his magical life in a Paris train station. The cast includes the young Asa Butterfield as Hugo and Chloe Moretz, one of my favorite young stars of the past couple of years (Kickass and 500 Days of Summer!) as Hugo's friend Isabelle. As for the adults? Emily Mortimer, Jude Law, Ben Kingsley and Sacha Baron Cohen all make appearances.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows




Truth be told, the first Sherlock Holmes movie was good, but nothing to necessarily write home about. But that won't stop me from seeing the sequel. And then we wonder why they keep making sequels... However, this trailer had me hooked from the first second when I saw the stunning Noomi Rapace, star of the Swedish hit The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. The film has Holmes on another sexy adventure with Jude Law's (yes, he made a lot of appearances this week) Watson. It seems like all mystical action and charming banter will be back for round two, which is good enough for me. As an added bonus, Jared Harris of Fringe and Mad Men was brilliantly cast as Professor Moriarty. Here's hoping this one doesn't disappoint.

Higher Ground

Vera Farmiga surprised everyone first in The Departed and then in Up in the Air. Since then, her subtle, honest performances have earned her a spot in public opinion among the best actresses in Hollywood right now. Higher Ground, an official Sundance selection, is a story set in the 60s about a woman's journey with religion. The film is also Farmiga's directorial debut. Who knows if this will fall flat or be a truly spectacular portrait of faith, but I am very interested to see where Farmiga's career will go.

No comments:

Post a Comment