Thursday, July 21, 2011

SYTYCD: The Top 10 Bring It


Finally the Top 10 are here! Honestly, I do prefer the Top 20 format, but it seemed that SYTYCD was lagging this year for some reason. Possibly because of all the freakin judging. Thankfully this week, there were only three on the panel, one of whom was the always incredible Neil Patrick Harris. He didn’t quite bring his charm the way Jesse Tyler Ferguson did last week, but he did do something that Nigel and Mary haven’t necessarily been doing this season- CRITIQUE!

Marko ft. Chelsie – Samba - The night started off with Marko, who performed a Jason Gilkison Samba with All-Star Chelsie Hightower. The routine was good. I thought Marko held his own without Melanie, which I was wondering about. It wasn’t magical, but then, neither was the routine.

Jordan ft. Brandon – Contemporary - Jordan impressed the heck out of me last week with the vulture dance (not the Broadway number obviously), but I felt like this was her best performance to date. Brandon was one of the best dancers in Season 5, my personal favorite season, and definitely deserved his place at the top. Having him with her definitely helped Jordan, but it allowed her to shine in her own right. Good for her. She showed an impressive maturity tonight. Loved it.

Tadd ft. Comfort – Hip Hop - I love Tadd. Really I do. I want him to do well. I also loved All-star Comfort last season more than ever before. But this one didn’t do it for me. Such a fast song deserved faster choreography throughout I though, not just that one part, and it kind of looked like Comfort was half-assing it. Strange for the Top 10 week for sure. Not my favorite.

Mitchell ft. Melody – Broadway – I was right there with NPH on this one. I didn’t get it. I didn’t see the concept at all in the performance, and what’s more, I didn’t like the performances that much. I don’t think it was Mitchell’s fault really, since it’s possible he also didn’t get it. I think Mitchell’s great, but to be honest I’m not that attached to him.

Caitlynn ft. Pasha – Argentine Tango – Spectacular, breathtaking, utterly amazing. Caitlynn was radiant, but the routine itself was unbelievable. Watching them slow burn across the floor, it was like I was in a trance. I know it’s different from the regular Tango, but it made me think that all of the praises for Melanie and Marko’s Tango were just jokes. This was absurdly good.

Sasha ft. Twitch – Hip hop…ish – Speaking of absurdly good. I thought Caitlynn’s routine would be a runaway for the best of the night, but this one blew it out of the water. I’ve been a little iffy about Christopher Scott this season, but given this dream team, he knew what to do. The smoothness, the chemistry, and the crazy-sick technical dancing- especially by my girl Sasha. This was what I’ve been WAITING for. I mourn the weeks with Alexander. It was wasted time which could’ve been spent seeing Sasha soar.

Jess ft. Kathryn – Contemporary - I love, LOVE Stacey Tookey. I thought the choreography here was amazing. The way the moved played so that Kathryn was always turning away from Jess? So good! Jess got great reviews on this, but if I’m being honest, my eyes were on Kathryn the whole time. She’s grown so much since Season 6 and now I am simply in awe of her. Heaven is a Place on Earth was probably my favorite routine last season…. Look at me, my attention’s off Jess again. Well, what does that tell you?

Melanie ft. Pasha – Viennese Waltz – I disagreed with NPH when he said he worried when dancers get this dance. In my opinion, it is the one ballroom style that always seems to be a cakewalk. It was everything it should be, flowing effortlessly through the movements. Pasha is just so… sigh. Good work Melanie, but for once, not the best OR the second best.

Ricky ft. Allison – Jazz – I was so thrilled to hear that these two were paired. Allison is one of my favorite SYTYCD alums, and she was just what Ricky needed post-Ryan. I think they both did a really great job. I liked this routine infinitely better than Tyce’s other piece. It makes me wonder about why Broadway is his ‘thing.’ I hope Ricky gets a chance to continue on the show. I think he still has a lot to show America.

Clarice ft. Robert – Bollywood – I’ve been saying recently how short on Bollywood this season has been. I was happy to have it back, and I don’t think Clarice could’ve picked a more perfect style. Her natural sparkle and energy work perfectly with the nature of the dance and I was pleasantly surprised to see that her character had some edge to it as well. Robert was one of my favorites last season. I’ll always be happy to see him.

Best Routine of the Night- No brainer. Sasha and Twitch (henceforth to be known as THE dream team) stole the night. I can’t wait to see this one again.



Best Costume of the Night- There weren’t really any super-standouts this week, but I’m going to give it to Caitlynn and Pasha’s Argentine Tango. Her dress was beautiful and while it is always nice to see him shirtless, the classy suit had it’s own sex appeal.

Best Overall of the Night- Here I’m going to have to go with Jordan. I was so happy that Sasha was able to break out of her mediocre partner shell, but Jordan was the one who truly surprised me tonight. Both the routine and the solo showed her maturity- you don’t always have to dance like a Pussycat Doll!

No comments:

Post a Comment